Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Finally I Become a Man

"April showers bring May flowers." This is the saying I always heard growing up. With the showers we had in Indiana this April, there should be a forests of lilies and roses popping up everywhere. It rained so much here. There was a two week period where it rained nonstop. In the office there were a couple of people complaining about it, and someone said, "Do you think Noah complained?" And if I was a gambling man, I would say Noah probably threw up a couple of complaints to the Big Guy. But the rain from the clouds has finally ceased here in Indiana. Unfortunately I haven't quit making it rain from my billfold....i just got an apartment.

That's right. Charlie is getting ready to go through yet another rite of passage. First it was growing armpit hair, then it was getting his driver's license, and now it is getting an apartment and living by himself. This will be the first time I have ever lived by myself. After graduating high school, I lived in a dorm with my good friend David, and for the past year I have been living with a family that has graciously taken me in...but now I must grow up and live by myself.

I'm going to be honest...I'm a little nervous. Here is a quick list of the reasons I'm nervous.

1) I don't know how to cook. The only things I know how to cook is frozen pizza and hot dogs. Last time I checked, man cannot live on frozen pizza and hot dogs alone. So I better get my Emeril on...soon.

2) I have never spent this much money on a consistent basis. I am now obligated to pay rent every month for an entire year! I think the last time I paid money on a regular basis towards something was to fix my sweet tooth in high school. Every day I spent 50 cents to buy a pack of nutty bars at lunch. Unfortunately my rent is going to be a little more than 50 cents.

3) There is a good chance my apartment is haunted. My apartment is actually in a mansion that was built in 1870 for widows. The person who built this house was named Colbertson, and he also built another mansion just down the street from where I will be living. And that mansion actually has had reports of a haunting. I hope urine repels ghosts because I know I will pee the bed if I ever see/hear anything freaky.

So there are a couple of reasons why I'm nervous to live by myself. Are they valid? Oh yea. But I'm also pretty excited to have my own apartment. It will be nice to go home and not have to worry about anyone...plus I can walk around in my underwear. But on a serious note, I think this time will be really good for me. I will learn stuff about myself that I would never learn if I never ventured out and lived on my own. So I guess you could say I'm nervous and excited!

Have you guys every lived by yourself? If so, what did you learn about yourself?

No comments: