Thursday, April 21, 2011

Don't Forget

As I sit here writing this post, I'm reminded of the famous philosopher Charlie Sheen when he said, "I'm bi-winning. I win here. I win there." You see, tonight I am going to play some basketball with some friends, and there will definitely be some winning. Will I win? Probably not, but someone will win. Also, another win for me today...I get the day off! Tomorrow is Good Friday and the offices are closed, but my day off is usually Friday, so I get to take my day off today! Its going to be a "winning" weekend. I'm going to color Easter eggs, make rice crispie Easter eggs, and take Christine to the driving range for the first time (she might not win that one). But all I know is that it is going to be a winning weekend.

As I said earlier, tomorrow is Good Friday, and two days later it is Easter! I remember when I was younger, my brothers and I would get so excited to get up Easter Sunday and look for eggs! *Disclaimer* *If you are under the age of 8, please quit reading for your own good* *Disclaimer* My parents were really good at hiding eggs! There were always 1 or 2 eggs we never found because my dad had found too difficult a hiding place for us to find them. But I used to have a great time on Easter. And what kid doesn't like Candy?! That is what Easter is all about, right?! But now that I am older, Easter eggs and candy are not the first things to come to mind...

Every Sunday at LIFT, our middle school program at church, we have a time where we take communion. Usually Cody or I get up in front of the students and give a little spiel about communion, and this past week it was my turn. As I was trying to think of what to say, I was reminded of what Christine's dad says to her when she is getting ready to leave. Rick, Christine's dad, quickly says the words, "Don't Forget" before Christine leaves to go somewhere. When I first heard this saying, I thought she had to go pick up something at the grocery store and her dad was just reminding her not to forget to pick up some cereal. But after time I started to notice that he said, "Don't forget" almost every time she left the house. Finally I asked Christine about it and she said, "Oh, he wants me not to forget that he loves me!"

As this story played in my mind last week before communion, I could hear Jesus saying to me, "Don't forget..." Every week we go to church and we eat this stale, small piece of bread (unless you go to Carterville Christian Church in Missouri...best communion bread ever!) and drink a small cup of grape juice that is barely enough to get the stale bread taste out of your mouth...why? So that we "Don't Forget."

Tomorrow is Good Friday. I sure hope we don't forget about it because without Good Friday there would be no Easter. Without Jesus dying on the cross on Friday, He could not come back to life on Sunday. So tomorrow as you are going about your day, and for the rest of your time on earth...Don't Forget. Don't forget that he died for you and that He loves you.

My friend Adam, Christine's brother, wrote a blog
Post about this a while back, and I don't do it justice compared to him. I Hope you guys have a good Easter holiday this weekend. Love you all!

No comments: