Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Hope Not Fatalism

I love my brothers! I can't think of anything better in life than staying up until one in the morning laughing, talking, and dancing with Jim and Sam. I don't know what I would do without them here. I would probably go crazy from boredom, and I would just end up hanging out with David all the time...So I just wanted to let you know how thankful I am for my bros!

Lately, I have been reading a book by Ted Dekker called Blink. It is a very good fiction book that intertwines the life of a Saudi Princess and a genius named Seth Border. I don't want to give too much of the book away because I recommend that you read it, but something from the book has really stuck out to me. The plot deals a lot with the future and the character's choices to change the future.

This idea of changing our future made me start thinking about how some people have a fatalistic view of their future. They believe that no matter what they do, their future is set in stone. I, for one, was once guilty of this way of thought. When I was younger I remember settling into the belief that I was a sinner and there was no changing it. I knew that a guy named Jesus with a last name Christ died for me and my sins, but I thought to myself, "Hey, I am a sinner and will always be a sinner. I shouldn't have to change anything because there is no use." O, how ignorant I was!

The Apostle Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 5:17, " Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation the old has gone, the new has come!" God is love, and love does not force the issue of love. Therefore, God does not force us to love him. He gives us a choice. We have a choice to love God and become a new creation. If we choose God, our outlook on the future changes. We are no longer stuck in a cemented future mixed with agony and death.

So, can the future change with the choices made by an individual? Yes! So I encourage you to choose to become a new creation in Christ, and your future will be full of hope not fatalism.

2 comments:

D-Heff said...

Hey man, don't knock hanging out with me. There are dozens, nay, scores of good-looking females that would kill for that opportunity.

B24Ford said...

Glad to hear that you are getting some good family time in. It would have been halarious to see you and your bro dancing. Have a Merry Christmas.