Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Darn You, Kink in the Neck!

Have you ever seen a shooting star? If I had to guess, I bet 99.995% of people have seen one. Unfortunately, I am a part of that .005% that has never witnessed the awesomeness of a shooting star. This past Sunday the college group I am a part of had a bonfire where we ate some hotdogs and had a worship time around the fire. During the singing, I leaned back in my chair, and I just stared into the dark sky. As I continued to just gaze into the expanse of darkness, stars began to appear. One after another, they popped up. First they were dim, but over time they began to get brighter and brighter until it seemed like the entire night sky was stringed with constellations made from tiny beautiful balls of light.

It was awesome in its purest since of the definition. I don't know if you have ever taken the time to just sit back and look at the night sky, but I strongly encourage you to. If you live in the city, take a road trip 20 minutes outside the city. Park and lay down on the roof of your car and just stare at the sky on a cloudless night. It is truly indescribable. Sunday night after staring into the sky for about 5 minutes, it seemed like the stars were literally lowered enough that I could reach out and grab a cluster of them. I even found myself reaching out to try and grab one, but some girl started staring at me so I played it off like I was stretching.

When the girl finally quit staring at me, I went back to star gazing. While I was looking up in the sky, the guy doing worship started playing a song with the lyrics,

I want to know you, I want to hear your voice,
I want to know you more.
I want to touch you, I want to see your face,
I want to know you more.

When I was singing those words, I feld like God was answering my prayer right in front of me. I could see his artistic masterpiece, and in turn, I felt like I knew him better. It is really good to be reminded of God's creativity and his creation. I'll be the first to tell you that I am not an "outdoors man." I know that is contradictory to every book ever written about manliness, but I really enjoy the comforts of air conditioning and accessible toilet paper. But I really enjoyed seeing this side of God. It was beautiful.

Oh, and by the way, I never saw a shooting star that night. There were several of them, but everytime one shot across the sky I was trying to get the kink out of my neck from staring straight up in the sky. Bum deal if you ask me.

2 comments:

angieabbe said...

Whatever Charlie. We were there. You and Caitlyn were making faces the whole time.

Unknown said...

At least he didn't spiritualize the crap out of the maze...