Wednesday, October 28, 2009

All I Need to Know I Learned from AA.

Looking across the room, Jim looked like an average guy. Sure, his beard was a little untrimmed, and he was missing a couple of teeth. But Jim has a disease, and he isn’t afraid to admit it. As soon as he sat down, he exclaimed, “Hello. I’m Jim…and I’m an alcoholic.”

I attended an alcoholic anonymous group called “2nd Chance Group” to fulfill a requirement for my Crisis Counseling class. Before attending the meeting, I felt very tense and worried. I was not sure how they would accept my presence at their meeting. However, a man named Jim, the leader of the group, offered me his hand and a hot cup of coffee as soon as I had walked in the door. Soon, I had met almost the entire group before the meeting even began. The people in the group were very inviting and welcoming. It was very interesting to observe the members of the group interact with each other as they walked in the room. Everyone was greeted with a smile, hug, and a pat on the back. Even first time visitors, who were nervous and felt out of place, were welcomed the same. I would say that the overall atmosphere of the group was that of acceptance, love, and community.

There was a very large difference in age between the members of the group. There was an 87-year-old man who had been sober for over 40 years, a 49-year-old man who was drunk at the meeting, a 30-year-old man who used to be involved in church leadership and several women in their fifties. There were about 15 people in the entire group who were dealing with alcoholism.

Going to an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting was a real eye-opener. It was amazing to see the acceptance and love found in the 2nd Chance AA group. Their willingness to come forward and admit that they have a disease that they cannot deal with by themselves was truly extraordinary. Sometimes in the church, people try to pretend that they are perfect Christians, and they ignore the fact that they are messed-up people in need of a Messiah. I think that is were AA gets it right. They know they need help, because they have a problem they can’t seem to shake.

The MESSiah came to enter into our MESSES and bring us hope and healing. To even suggest we aren't a mess really implies we have no need for a MESSiah, and you are slapping Jesus in the face and spitting on his sacrifice.

If Christians began to mimic Jim, as mentioned at the beginning, great things would happen. I think we all need to join with Jim in saying, “Hello. My name is _______…and I’m a sinner.”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Was Jim his real name? Cause that's not anonymous.