Sunday, November 16, 2008

Cutting in the Milk Line

School is beginning to wind down, and the school work is starting to slow down as well. I have four projects due Tuesday and Wednesday, but it will be smooth sailing after I turn those in for my classes.

Today I was getting some cereal in the cafe for dinner. I tried some cinnamon granola cereal which was surprisingly good and filling. As I went to pour some milk into my bowl, I realized I had cut right in front of somebody. Apologetically, I prompted her to go before me. She poured some milk into her glass, and as she walked away she said, "Thank you for acknowledging me." That statement blew me away.

As life gets tough and busy, it is really easy to focus on ourselves. School work piles up, and we start focusing on our tasks and our wants. We tend to block everyone else out. This evening with the girl i cut in front of, this truth hit me smack in the face. I have been told that I am really selfish, and there is no way getting around truth. But I want to be able to notice people in this world that never get anyone's attention. Jesus was great at this. He would often reach out to the outcasts, even if people judged him. For example, Jesus called a tax collector to become his disciple. Levi, the tax collector, was looked down upon by the Jewish people. He was not only a liar and a cheat (tax collectors often charged people more for taxes so they could pocket some of the money), but he was considered a traitor working for the Roman Empire. However, Jesus noticed Levi and brought him under his wing.

This world is a fast paced place where people can get lost in all the commotion. I urge you to take time and stop looking out for yourselves and realize people who are lost and lonely, because there are people who never receive love or attention.

2 comments:

SethC said...

Good thoughts. Especially challenging as Christmas gets closer to think about those who are easily forgotten during this time. The elderly, the homeless, etc. Thanks for the challenge.

Best of the Wursters said...

Great thought for the day. on a side note man your music just makes all of the reading the much heart wrenching. I completly understand where you are coming from to many times in life we just get caught up in what we are needing to do and for get those brothers and sisters around us that might be needing the helpful smile in their life. We need to always remember that a kind word goes a long way even if we never know it. I also have to say that this story might not have hit home for you or us as readers if that Girl wouldn't have accepted your apology the way she did. So with in your attempt on your point you have showed me as well the other side of being Christ like. Man this was good stuff. Thank you for sharing. Just like Matt P. talked about today in chapel Jesus seems to pop his head in at just the right time to hit us in our hearts.

Jacob W.