Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Being a Patient of Patience

I wrote this a year and a half ago at a church camp. I was a counselor for the 5th and 6th grade week of camp, and I wrote this early one morning.


Patience...something I have not really had to deal with in my life. Sometime I have trouble being patient with people or objects, but for the most part I can be patient. Lately, patience is something I have been lacking. Here at 5th and 6th grade camp, I have met some great kids! CJ loves God and wants everyone around him to feel good about themselves. Just yesterday a couple of kids, including CJ, and I were playing Slap Jack. The game ended with one boy never slapping a Jack, and I didn't think much of it. As everyone walked away from the table, the little boy stayed in his seat with his head down. CJ noticed he was upset so he took the deck of Cards and found a Jack. He flipped the Jack over on the table, and said, "Here! Here! Its a Jack!" The boy raised his head with a huge grin on his face, and he slapped the Jack as hard as he could.
There are many other kids like that here at Camp Solomon. It is the other types of kids that push my patience. Everything was fine until Tuesday morning. I woke up about an hour before the kids so I could take a hot shower. All of the kids had taken a shower the night before, so I had plenty of time and HOT water! As I walked to the bathroom, I saw a sign on the entrance of the men's restroom that read, "NO SHOWERS TODAY." I couldn't believe it, and I went to go see the man in charge of the camp grounds. He told me that a water line had busted so their 500 gallon tank of water that supplied the camp was empty. That lovely piece of information did not make me very happy to say the least! I was ried, sticky from sweat a day old, and now they have the nerve to tell me I can't take a shower?! AAHHH! My patience was beginning to thin. To make matters worse, I forgot to bring my phone charger, and my phone had just died.
So back to the word I started out with...Patience. It is something I will need in the future for sure, But I wished I had it now. Ironic? Its very funny becuase i want something so bad but I'm not trying to make myself learn patience by just wanting it. This is a good saying, "If you want to learn something, all you have really done is learned to want." If i want to receive patience, I need to practice everyday...even if it means I have to go two days without a shower!


Its been a while since I have written this, but I still struggle with patience. Patience is a lifelong process that I'm trying to achieve. I need to be more patient with my fellow man, because God is every so patient with me.

No comments: