Monday, March 14, 2011

My Reason for Mondays

I love Jr. High ministry! Right now we are in the middle of a teaching series on love and dating. Its called the "Love Shack." Someone people think this title is a little questionable, because it came from a song that is about having, as Bill Clinton puts it, "sexual relations." But the whole purpose of this series is to talk about how our view of love is skewed and misguided. As imperfect people, we often tend to reside in a run-down, dirty shack instead of a strong, stable house when it comes to love. Basically, we are just trying to teach our students about healthy relationships and God's love.

Yesterday we had a question and answer session with our Jr. High students about dating. We sat them all down and talked to them for about 10 minutes about healthy relationships, and how our relationship with God has to be the number one thing in our lives. Afterward we gave them each a piece of paper and asked them to write down a question they have about dating and relationships. Here are a couple of questions we received:

How many girlfriends do boys have on average?

Is it wrong to smack your boyfriend?

Why are girls so complicated? They ask so many questions!

(this one is more of a statement) Why kiss so many different people? God has already picked the one for you. Oh and by the way, I can't date until I am married.

If you have a wedgie is it okay to pick it on your date? Or should you excuse yourself??

Are there more girls than boys?

Why do teens have sex knowing they may have aids?


These are only a few of the questions we got, but I just wanted to share with you guys why I love Jr. Highers! Mondays are sometimes hard to get motivated for, but I just love looking back on Sunday and seeing why I come in on Monday. Middle School students make me laugh and smile all in the same moment. They are in this stage of their life where they are becoming who they are for the rest of their lives. They're bodies are changing physically and emotionally, and it is amazing to see them change spiritually. This is when their faith is no longer just their parents faith, but they start to grasp this idea of God on their own.

This is why I come into work on Mondays. Why do you get up on Monday?

1 comment:

D-Heff said...

I get up on Mondays because that is the day I go bowling.