Saturday, October 9, 2010

Bowls

Its been a while since I last posted, but I've been pretty busy lately. I was actually going to write a new blog about prayer a couple days ago, but as soon as I logged in to write, I saw that my good friend David Heffren had just blogged about the same thing. So I decided not to look like I plagiarized him and didn't write anything. But I'm here now and David didn't steal my new idea.

I want to bring something to your attention if you haven't noticed yet. There are two tragedies going on in the United States right now. These things are slowly killing and eating away at what it truly means to be an American. Yep, you guessed it....Music Greeting Cards and Redbox.

I'm not going to say anything about those music greeting cards, but Redbox is really starting to singe my hair, boil my plasma, and mess with my medulla oblongata. It is nice to be able to pay for a rental movie at a decent price, but I would rather get a movie I went. The selection at Redbox is horrible, and it is killing movie rental stores. Now the death of Blockbuster is sad, but folks...its okay. There is hope. There is Netflix.

Even though these days have been filled with gloom and despair because of the popularity of Redbox and the annoying tunes coming from greeting cards, I did have a great time Thursday and Friday. I was able to spend some time in the ATL (I can legitimately call it the "ATL" because I've been to Atlanta now) at the Catalyst Conference. I heard some GREAT speakers, and I was blessed to be a part of some amazing worship.

Andy Stanley spoke the first session on Thursday morning, and it was a great message. He simply conveyed the story of Jacob and Esau in Genesis 25 where Esau sells his birthright for a bowl of stew. Andy explained how as humans we have many appetites (food, sex, popularity, etc.), and the only word our appetites know is more. So when Esau was hungry, he sold away his entire future to be satisfied until the next meal. When it all comes down to it, we cannot sell our future away for a temporary pleasure or else we could lose out on so much. He then asked us the question, "What is your bowl."

Personally, I have no idea what God is going to do through me, my children, and my grand children. I don't want to sell all of that away to fulfill an appetite for a short time only to be left feeling empty and wanting more. I know what my bowl is....what is your bowl?

2 comments:

D-Heff said...

Crap dang it, Chuck! I was wanting to put "If" as the song on my blog before long!

Charlie Landis said...

You steal my blog post idea...i steal your song, foo!