Sunday, July 18, 2010

I am trying to "Let Go My Eg(g)o"

Well I have been pretty apathetic when it comes to writing a new blog in the past week. I have literally opened up a window to write a new blog about 3 times, but I have never actually written anything. So here is my feeble attempt to get something written.

The name of the dad at the house I am staying with this year is Pat. He is quite a guy. He leads his family by example, and he will be the first to tell you that it wasn't always that way. When he first met his wife, his heart was hard towards God and refused to live for Him. However, Jesus grabbed a hold of his heart (and wife did a little tugging herself) and Pat is a completely different man now who loves his God.

Every Sunday night, Pat plays basketball in his backyard with a couple of his buddies. He has been doing this for about 30 years! He calls it his "mission field." You see, the types of guys that come out to play are just like the kind of guy Pat used to be thirty years ago. These guys cheat on their wives, they live for worldly pleasure, and Pat still loves them. Of course, there is the occasional "That wasn't a foul!" or "Your foot was on the line," but Pat still shows them Christ's love through conversation. He is always asking them how their families are doing or what is going on in their lives. And there is only one rule..."No Cussing." However, that rule is not always followed to the "T".

The first guy that always shows up is a man named Mike. He is about 58 years old, and he can straight up play basketball. He actually played for Coach Rupp at Kentucky University, and he went on to have a short career with the Indiana Pacers. The county prosecutor also shows up to play some basketball. There is a sixty-year-old guy who is nicknamed "Shake." I still don't know what his real name is...There is a man named Gary, who is deaf. He is not actually allowed to play any more, because he was playing too physical. So now he just comes for the community and watches everyone play. There are other guys who come to play too. There is Don, Steve, Wes, and still others.

I just thought I'd share with you guys what I do on a Sunday night. Its pretty simple and good exercise. Most of the guys that play are older and pretty good at basketball, so I guess you could say my ego gets a good dosage of humility every Sunday night on the court.

1 comment:

mamalandis said...

For such a good looking guy with a contagious smile, loving nature, and strong character, I think you remain a remarkably humble and sweet soul. :)