Tuesday, June 16, 2009

"I had them Ladies rollin'!"

Vacation Bible School is here at First Christian Church in Derby! From 9 a.m. until noon, there are kids ranging from preschool to 5th graders roaming all over the church building making crafts, playing games, and learning awesome VBS songs.

Shonda, the children's minister, was so kind as to give me the job of heading up the game station. I like this for two reasons....first, I get to play games! Second, I get to meet and hang out with all of the kids. One particular kid cracks me up! His name is Austin, and he is a gangster in a little white boy's body. He is around 8-years-old and has blonde hair. The first day of VBS, Austin is the first kid in line at the game station, and he has a name tag on that says "AUSTIN" in all capital letters. So i say, "Hey Austin, are you excited for the game station?" He turns around to his friend and says excitedly with his eyes wide-open, "That dude knows my name!" I couldn't help but start laughing, but I gained my compsure and began to introduce myself and the rest of my game crew members. Then today as VBS was coming to a close, I asked him if he had a good day, and he said, "Man....I had them ladies rollin' today." He went on to explain that he was a funny guy who was good with the girls. And when he was leaving with his mom I said, "Goodbye Austin. I'll see you tomorrow." He then turns to his mom and says, "He knows my name!" I love kids!

So what did I learn today at VBS besides that everyone seems to be a ladies except for me? Children, no matter how much they test your patience, are honored and loved by God. Jesus tells adult men and women that unless you become like a child, you cannot enter the kingdom of God (Mt. 18). Kid are very dependent. Survival is dependent upon other people. Jesus is telling us that unless we become humble and depend on God like children depend on their moms and dads, we will never understand what kind of relationship we must have with God. We must depend on God for our strength to live in this dark world. We must depend on God to get through tough times. We must depend on God just to get through the monotonous daily routine of daily life.

So we must all be like Austin and have a life defined by dependency on God!

2 comments:

SethC said...

Good thoughts...

Zhenya and Nika Aksutin said...

Hello! My name is Zhenya! I so like your blog! We are from Russia. I am missioner on Far East Russia. I and my wife organize many clubs to construct attitudes friendship and to speak them about the Christ. My wife has a ladys club. It is good opportunity to testify about our God and His love! We are missionary on the Far East Russia. We are russian. We live in Birobidzhan city, it is the Jewish region in Russia. A lot of Jews live here. They have synagogues and celebrate many religious holidays. But many of them do not know the Christ. We have 2 daughters. Polina is 9 years and Liliya is 3 years. I shall be glad give answer to you, if you are interesting about us and our ministry. I will glad if you can write me. Sorry my English.
Your brother in Christ Zhenya
--
You can vizit our family ministry blog
http://fareastrussiaforgodsglory.blogspot.com